Monday, September 6, 2010

Country Girl Gone City


To understand my story I should first tell you where I'm from; the infamous, popular, well-known, notable, preemient, glorious, great city of Boerne, Texas. I'm sure you all have heard of this outstanding town, but for those who havent, it is right outside of San Antonio. Boerne is a small city out in the hill country, and contrary to previous beliefs, most of us do not ride our horses to school. Boerne was all I knew growing up until I came here to Dallas. I had never moved, and I knew close to nothing about San Antonio besides the movie theaters and the malls. I went to school with the same kids I had been with since elementary. Everybody knows everybody in Boerne. It takes approximately three and a half minutes for a rumor to be spread, and it takes around six minutes to drive through the town. Sonic was the hangout after school with half price drinks. If you weren't at Sonic one of the most exhilarating things to do would be to drive super fast over the "Boerne Bump," which is literally a big bump in the road. Growing up I always despised living in a small town. I wanted to be in a big city, I wanted something different. So the first chance I got, I left Boerne and came to Dallas. First couple weeks of my freshman year I was ecstatic with all of the different opportunities a big city had to offer. Little by little though I began to feel strange, it almost felt as though I missed my small town, where everyone knew your name. I tried so hard to fight the fact that there was a small part of me that loved that place. I never wanted to admit it, and I never realized it until I moved away. I am still a country girl at heart, and I guess the saying really is true, that you don't know what you have until it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment