Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm So Fat.

My roommates and I have been stressing over working out and being fit lately. How do we cope with our stresses? We eat. I can't tell you how many times we've said, "okay I won't eat bad after this," but it never really stops. We can go a couple of days and eat well and in small portions, but then it backfires and we crave junk food. It is a never ending cycle, and in the end we never really end up changing. Honestly, none of us are fat, but we don't have the model figure that everyone strives for. Young women are under so much pressure to have this perfect body that less then 10 % of our country has. For most people it is impossible to look like this. Many people aren't built that way, and frankly much of the population is just way way to short. Why do we try and look like this then? As a girl I can tell you that most girls want to look this way because that is how beauty is portrayed in advertising, movies, and Hollywood. As much as I try and pretend I don't care, I wish I looked like them. I hate that I feel this way, and I am not sure how to stop it or who is to blame. There are many people who could be at fault; the companies running commercials, the actors in movies, the people who choose the actors, the plastic surgeons, the list can go on and on. However I have noticed a commercial for Dove that encourages parents to talk to their daughters about this topic and let them know they are beautiful the way they are. I am so glad that someone has finally taken a stand and is committed to fighting this image. No one should ever feel pressured to look a certain way, we are all different for a reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKfF40jeCA

No comments:

Post a Comment