Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Facing My Fears

One of the scariest things I have done in my life happened while I was on vacation. We were driving around Acapulco when we passed a place to bungee jump. Without thinking, I exclaimed, "I wanna do that!" Big mistake. As I jumped out of the car and ran towards the attraction I realized just how high it really was; but there was no way I could back out of it now. My mom was pleading me not to go, she offered me money, whatever she could think of. Although I could of used the money I decided against her offer and began signing multiple papers and releases. All stating, I understood I could die, and I understood they were not responsible for me. That didn't really help the situation. To make matters worse, I was informed that the elevator was broken, and I would have to climb up the emergency ladder to get to the top. It was as if there was a secret hidden message telling me not to go multiple times. My mom's message wasn't so secret or hidden. So I began my climb up to the top, my hands were sweaty and I was shaking, but I managed to finally get there. I stepped out on to the edge and looked down over the ocean. I really really didn't want to jump now, but at the same time I really really didn't want to climb all the way back down the emergency ladder. If the elevator had been working I might have made a different decision that night, but I looked straight up at the sky and just jumped. My stomach was in knots and I couldn't even open my mouth to scream. As they unhooked my feet from the cord I remember feeling so proud of myself. I did something that I never thought I could ever do. I just had this feeling that I really accomplished something amazing, there was no greater feeling. I will never forget that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment