Monday, October 4, 2010

I Feel Like Dancing

Freshman year I lived in Peyton Hall, which is a fine arts community. My suitemate and all my neighbors were mainly dancers. This year one of my roommates that I met last year is a dancer, and the most of my good friends at SMU are dancers as well. It was completely different then what I had expected my freshman year to be like. I learned so much about just how difficult it is to be a dancer here at SMU. They normally have dance classes all day which leaves very little time for any other academics, then at night they have rehearsals for upcoming dance performances. Before I got to know them and their schedules I imagined someone who was a dance major had it easy. I expected them to have much more free time and be much more relaxed all the time. I was very wrong. Dance literally becomes their life. They spend hours and hours just practicing and rehearsing. Even for those who aren't in an upcoming show, they still are required to learn the dances. Some rehearsals don't end until twelve on a school night, other rehearsals are practiced on fridays and saturdays, and they miss out on a lot of the fun during the weekends. After living with the dancers my freshman year I have gained so much respect for what they do. Their college experience is so different from those students who major in something academic. Although I was hesitant about living their at first, I am so glad I was able to learn what their college experience is, not many people know.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Brown Bag! The dancers are so amazing! They work so hard and it shows! I wish I could dance!

    Love you roomie :)

    ReplyDelete