Monday, October 25, 2010

How would it feel?

Every single morning as I am driving to school I see the same old man on the side of road with the same sign asking for help. I used to avoide eye contact and just think to myself, "get a job," but I recently watched a show that has changed my perspective. I never knew why people were homeless, I usually just thought that they were lazy. From the show, World of Jenks, I learned that actually many people are homeless because they had been released from hospital, prison, or the armed forces and just simply don't have anywhere to go. Others leave forcibly or voluntarily because of an unwanted situation at home. They aren't lazy, they just have no where else to go. Many of them suffer from a mental illness. I tried to put myself in their position and honestly I don't know how they do it. I can't imagine what it would feel like to not have a home to come back too. How terrible it must feel to know this is how it will be for the rest of your life. Knowing that you will most likely be by yourself forever. What do they do when it's cold? How do they find somewhere to sleep? What would it feel like to wake up and not know if you are going to eat today? These are all questions I hope that nobody will able to answer; and for those that can, I hope that someone will be able to help get you on your feet. I know I am going to do the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment